Jobs in Kenya

September 30, 2010

Career Advice. Qualified In One Thing, Experienced In Another

Career Advice. Qualified In One Thing, Experienced In Another

A Reader Sent us this.

Hi, I have been reading your Career Advise and I am impressed by the amount of wisdom contained in some of the solutions you give and its informative.

I am a secretary in one of the in an NGO Organization that has branches all over the country, I got employed 4yrs ago, pursued a Business Administration(Marketing option) Degree in the first 3yrs and the graduated last year. I work in the Information Technology Department(IT).

My interest after the studies was to move and work in a different department/branch so I approached HR and requested for a transfer, the HR informed me I need to learn more about the department(IT) I work in and that they have no intentions of transferring me at the moment but when such an opportunity arose they will let me know. My predicament is I am feeling trapped in my current position since I want to learn newer things in other departments/branches(Operations, Business Dev or branch within Nairobi), I am trying to learn different stuff from Information Technology Dept but I need to acquire the relevant skills to be able to work more efficiently hence the need to pursue a course in IT as I have been advised by some colleagues. I weigh that option but I am not interested in IT and pursuing another course in not really what I want at the moment.

I am thinking of job hunting but the question of experience is another predicament since I have worked in Secretarial Position for 4yrs and would have wanted to work in another department so that I can acquire the necessary experience which can be useful when hunting for a new job. Kindly let me know what is the way forward for my situation.

What’s your advice?

 

No comments:

Notice

Disclaimer: The owners of this website (www.latestkenyanjobsupdate.blogspot.com) are not affiliated in any way with the companies whose vacancies are published here.

Search Latest Jobs

Kenyan Jobs-Top Vacancies and Recruitment in Kenya